Monday, May 24, 2010

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles-Oh yeah and then a move from Turkey to Utah

So I'm just getting around to blogging, but I have been a little busy. This post is for April 15th to the 26th. Our little family was in Germany and ready to bring little Carly home to show her off. The passport was ready and would be delivered to us on the 16th. CJ and Maria got on a military fight on the 15th and Carly and I were going to follow them the next day. They made it back to Turkey with no problems. Then a volcano erupted in Iceland and stopped all air travel in most of Europe, Germany included. Carly and I went to Frankfurt thinking we would wait a day and fly home. Five days later we were still waiting and it was not looking like there was much hope of us getting home anytime soon. I had had enough of Germany and CJ had had enough of being a single dad, so I checked out of my hotel in Frankfurt on April 20th with my mind set to get home by the following day. I went to the airport and they told me there was a way, but they did not recommend it with a two week old. I didn't listen and board a train to take Carly and I to Vienna, Austria where planes were flying out of. It was a eight hour train ride and it was packed. I did get a seat and sat there the entire eight hours. Once in Vienna I had to find a way to the airport. I was going to take the bus, but it was going to take about an hour. I walked outside and a guy came up to me and said that he and his wife were taking a taxi to the airport and asked if I would like to share it. I was so thankful for him and it ended up taking not even 10 minutes to get there. I then went to see if I could get on a fight that night. The guy at the counter for Turkish Air said that I was going to have to wait until the following morning because I was to late for the flight that night. I was not about to leave the airport so I started to search for a nice bench to sleep on for the night. Not ten minutes had passed when the guy from the airline counter came up to me and asked if I was staying there for the night, I said yes and he didn't think that was a good idea. He then told me to get the baby and he carried my bags. He took me through some back doors and bypassed a security check point right to a gate where I boarded a plane for Istanbul. He said that it would not land until about 1:00 in the morning and then handed me a ticket from Istanbul to Adana that left the following morning at 6:00. I was to be in Adana at 7:30 the next morning. I had done it with a little determination and a few good people that took pity on a women with a two week old. It was quite the adventure and Carly was a trooper the whole time. I was so glad to get back home and felt very grateful to all of my dear friends in Turkey that helped CJ out with Maria. It really made me realize how I'm going to miss the closeness of people living in Turkey.
So I was home and then CJ informed me that our stuff is being pack up the following Monday. I had't been home for nearly two months and movers are coming in four days. I really didn't care, I was home with my two girls and my wonderful husband. Things were great and the packing out went just fine. I feel a little bad because I didn't take any pictures of Carly and I's adventure, I guess I was to worried about other things.

Carly seeing her home for the first time.
Maria and Carly worn out from all the packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment